Friday, April 24, 2009

Viva la Revolucion

Walking own from Mcgill Uinversity, just off campus, when I pass a Prayer Station.  Whatever, just passing through, till one of the older men at the station points at me, and with a laugh asks
"What's with the Communist hat?"
I was taken aback.  Too stunned to comment, but annoyed enough at his viewpoint not just to smile and nod in a placatory fashion.  As with all occasions like that, all the good ripostes came as I walked away.

Turning round the corner, I walk past a demonstration outside Indigo, calling for a boycott on the store by some pro-Palestinian group or other.  The man there holds out a flier.
"You have a progressive hat sir, have a progressive flier!"

I have a new hat.  You may have seen it in some of the pics from Cuba.  I like it, but I didn't think it was all that different.  In fact, back in the UK, I doubt it would have drawn any comment, certainly wouldn't have in Glasgow.  I thought Quebec was actually quite left wing, but left wing in a North American setting obviously means a different thing.



Original Post Here.

1 comment:

  1. craigoxbrow
    Well, I suppose it is a style made popular by Castro... Eastern Bloc headgear would probably pass with less comment in the Americas than the full Havana Boogeyman. And keep your ears warm.

    sasori
    In the winter, maybe. But at 29oC, I'm sure it'd attract a few glances!

    Plus, Since I wrote that, I've seen 3 people with the same (one father and son duo, kid was about L's age, was very cute, and another bloke) with the same, and at least 1 store selling them (no doubt of a better quality than the one I picked up in a stall in Havana, but probably less expensive).

    ubiquitous_cat
    Dirty Commie Hippie....

    coffee_lifeform
    ...what he said. :p

    sasori
    I'll have you both know I wash regularly. As to the res, hugging trees is an excellent way to exfoliate, and I fail to see the issue with redistribution of wealth. Afterall, if Obama thinks it's a good idea, who am I to argue! ;)

    coffee_lifeform
    Still, though, at least it now looks like you might've shaved recently. Which, I suppose, is some progress.

    sasori
    Had to for Cuba, only one thing worse than a beard in the heat, and that's the tan-line that's left after you shave it.

    ReplyDelete